One more point - Simultaneous Equations
Remember that difficult question from the NAPLAN test that we ended on in our last session, where I explained that you would have to do it by instinct or trial and error because it was actually a problem called a "simultaneous equation"?
Simultaneous equations are problems where you have two equations and two variables (that means two unknown numbers) that relate them.
Since you have been working on formulas of the form y=mx+c and since we touched on it, I thought I'd give you a graphical explanation of how it could be solved in higher year levels - but remember they won't formally be teaching you this until year 9 or 10.
The problem:
Peta has some plums to give to her friends.
If she gives each friend 4 plums, she will have 6 plums left over.
She cannot give each friend 5 plums because she would need 4 more plums.
How many plums does Peta have?
STEP 1: Write out the two equations (taken from the blue and red writing above)
y=4x+6
y=5x-4
Can you see how these equations nicely explain the blue and red sentences above?
STEP 2: Graph the equations:

(This is the graphical calculator that I like to use - very similar to the one I suggested you use, but a bit more powerful)
STEP 3: See where the equations cross: Where Y = 46 and X = 10
ANSWER: This means that Peta has 46 plums and 10 friends.
So - for something that looked like a little question, working it out formally is actually very involved!
Don't worry if you don't understand how this works, the main point I want you to remember is that sometimes your maths teachers are going to throw questions at you without actually teaching you how to solve the problems! This can be good for constructing your own knowledge (that means thinking things through on your own), but most often it's rather unhelpful.
It's actually like giving you a paragraph to read full of words that you've never even heard of expecting that you'll just 'figure it out'; and I don't agree with it.
When things like this happen, just give it your best shot and don't be surprised if you get confused. Remember to ask questions afterwards so you know what gaps you have to fill in your knowledge. :-)
Simultaneous equations are problems where you have two equations and two variables (that means two unknown numbers) that relate them.
Since you have been working on formulas of the form y=mx+c and since we touched on it, I thought I'd give you a graphical explanation of how it could be solved in higher year levels - but remember they won't formally be teaching you this until year 9 or 10.
The problem:
Peta has some plums to give to her friends.
If she gives each friend 4 plums, she will have 6 plums left over.
She cannot give each friend 5 plums because she would need 4 more plums.
How many plums does Peta have?
STEP 1: Write out the two equations (taken from the blue and red writing above)
y=4x+6
y=5x-4
Can you see how these equations nicely explain the blue and red sentences above?
STEP 2: Graph the equations:

(This is the graphical calculator that I like to use - very similar to the one I suggested you use, but a bit more powerful)
STEP 3: See where the equations cross: Where Y = 46 and X = 10
ANSWER: This means that Peta has 46 plums and 10 friends.
So - for something that looked like a little question, working it out formally is actually very involved!
Don't worry if you don't understand how this works, the main point I want you to remember is that sometimes your maths teachers are going to throw questions at you without actually teaching you how to solve the problems! This can be good for constructing your own knowledge (that means thinking things through on your own), but most often it's rather unhelpful.
It's actually like giving you a paragraph to read full of words that you've never even heard of expecting that you'll just 'figure it out'; and I don't agree with it.
When things like this happen, just give it your best shot and don't be surprised if you get confused. Remember to ask questions afterwards so you know what gaps you have to fill in your knowledge. :-)

This is realy cool! I think this was a great idea!
ReplyDeletefrom Nina.
I'm glad you like it! I hope that you'll make use of it and I'll periodically add more things as I come across useful stuff.
ReplyDeleteIf you find useful things (even if they're for other subjects) you can always add them by making a comment, just like this one, on the appropriate page or post.